Ever wondered why you are constantly feeling tired and fatigued? Perhaps you put it down to overwork, stress or just overdoing it! All of these assumptions may be true but they may not be the cause of your symptoms.
There is a stronger possibility that your Chakras need balancing. The word Chakra in ancient Sanscrit means ‘wheel’. If we were able to see a chakra we would observe a wheel of energy continuously revolving or rotating.
These energy centers are part of our Life Force energy system flowing in and out of our being. They affect our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels. Depending on what energy we draw in and our ability to release old stuck energies, we can either be enlivened or drained by our chakra centers.
In different people, and at different times, chakras can appear in a variety of ways. There is generally a predominant color associated with each chakra that corresponds to the same colors and arrangement of those in a rainbow.
There are seven main Chakras located along the central line of the body, from the base of the spine to the top of the head. They are located in the ethereal body and they express the embodiment of spiritual energy on the physical level.
The chakras are constantly rotating and vibrating. The activities within them influence our body shape, glandular processes, chronic physical ailments, thoughts, and behaviour. When one (or more) of them is blocked and the energy does not flow harmoniously through them, or it is wide open, it will result in imbalance that is manifested in all areas of life.
Each chakra is associated with different parts of us and they need to spin totally in balance for us to feel good. They absorb energy that comes from our thoughts, feelings and outside environment and feed this to our body. Our body is affected by the quality of the energy that passes through the chakras. For instance, if we have negative feelings, we will be filtering negative energy through our chakras and into our body. Over time this can make our body ill.
Our chakras also absorb energy from the environment. Other people’s negative emotions or a room full of clutter will produce an unhealthy energy we immediately absorb.
We cannot avoid coming into contact with negative energy or feeling down sometimes, but there is a lot that we can do to change our feelings from negative to positive and to protect ourselves from harmful energy in the environment. Keeping our chakras in tip-top condition is the key, in other words keeping them spinning in balance. Chakra balancing is a bit like spring-cleaning and fine-tuning them.
Blocked energy in our seven Chakras can often lead to illness so it’s important to understand what each Chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely.
1.Root Chakra – Red, base of spine
Imbalance: Fatigue, disorientation due to lack of grounding, birth family issues, feeling unsafe, lower back problems, colon problems.
- To balance: Visualize the image of your feet, legs and body growing red tree roots that extend deep into the Earth, allowing the Earth energy to flow into you to sustain and nurture. Since this chakra corresponds with issues with one’s family of origin (“root”), resolving these deep emotions can heal this chakra.
2. Sacral Chakra – Orange, just below the belly button.
- Imbalance: Sexual dysfunction, emotional imbalance, relationship issues, lack of creativity, reproduction problems.
. To balance: Visualize an orange radiating in your belly. Feel that you are embraced by people who adore and honour you, whilst you embrace them back, allowing your feelings of kindness and generosity to flow. Trust your gut feelings, allow your sexual energy to flow, adding vitality and life force to your body.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow, sternum.
- Imbalance: Digestion issues, weakness in core muscles, low immunity, low self-esteem.
- To balance: Visualize a yellow light, focus on deep conscious breathing to still turbulent emotions and settle digestion, physical exercises to strengthen core muscles. Take time to nourish and accept the real self.
4.Heart Chakra – Green, heart.
- Imbalance: High or low blood pressure, cardiac symptoms, anger, numbness, fear of love.
- To balance: Visualize a green light in the center of the chest. Awaken your heart by allowing it to expand slowly through your body as you build a sense of surrender to your higher self. It may help to soothe and release feelings of hurt, loss or pain.
5.Throat Chakra – Light Blue, throat,
- Imbalance: Thyroid problems, neck stiffness, frustration, fear or inability to express and trust oneself.
- To balance: Sing, dance, write, speak – express! This chakra is cleared by genuine, open expression of truth. It is strengthened by standing up for personal beliefs, supporting other people and by speaking up for oneself from an authentic place.
6.Third Eye Chakra – Dark Blue, between the eyebrows.
- Imbalance: Headaches, lack of insight, feeling lost, lack of intuition.
To balance: Visualize a dark blue “third eye” in the middle of the forehead, that opens up and looks around with observation and insight. Over thinking congests the brow chakra – so try to catch yourself when your mind is chewing away at a subject like a dog with a bone, or when you feel you are overcomplicating an issue.
7.Crown Chakra –Violet, top of head.
Imbalance: Headaches, foggy brain, fear, disconnection, feelings of being abandoned and not able to cope.
- To balance: Visualize glowing white energy coming down and enveloping the top of the head, opening and healing the crown chakra. Pull the energy down as a protective shield around the body. Asking our Higher Self/God/Guardian Angels or Spirit Guides to help.
By clearing the Chakras the trauma within each energy center is released, allowing the chakra to spin and work in synchronicity with the other chakras. This facilitates inner harmony and balance as your whole energy field shifts to a more unified whole. Once our energy field is aligned with wellbeing in this way, healing begins organically. Our natural intelligence knows exactly how to take care of us once we have resolved inner conflicts within our chakras.
Spending a few minutes balancing your chakras each day is a wonderful way to make you feel full of life with positivity and hope.
Annie Moore MCThA, Clincal Aromatherapist, Massage & Energy healing, Owner Vidatherapy Spa, Teddington, TW11. www.vidatherapy.com